[dev] AJAX Framework changes

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Wed Jan 25 19:57:13 UTC 2012

>> Since the UI is going to be updated for Horde 4.1, it is a
>> necessity to move common AJAX components from the applications
>> (e.g. IMP, Kronolith) into Horde_Core.  In fact, I've already been
>> working on this for a few days.
>
> Wouldn't this be a BC break? Or do you mean that this is going to be
> done for H5?

Yes, of course this is a BC break.  But to redo the UI for 4.1, this
HAS to be done.  Or else we are never going to be able to expand our
AJAX and mobile views.  How would the UI re-write work without this
(i.e. if every application continues to have its own AJAX framework?)
This is impossible.  As a thought experiment: how would the portal
work, for example?

And I thought we are over the whole BC breaking thing for applications
since this is the whole point of having PEAR packages.  IMP
5.1/Kronolith 3.1 can require Horde 4.1 and a certain minimum version
of Horde_Core.  As long as existing methods don't completely disappear
(so that older applications will still work), this is perfectly
acceptable.  We are over the whole "IMP 5.1 has to work with Horde
4.0" thing.

H5 will mean a fundamental change in the way the
framework/applications work together like H4 did with switching to
packages.  Improving within the existing framework, which is what this
does, is more than reasonable and, in fact, is expected.

michael