[dev] [commits] Horde branch master updated. 70ad1361e25088ff5cf8f2a2b6de9ec792bce3cf

Ralf Lang lang at b1-systems.de
Thu Feb 16 06:52:33 UTC 2012

> The problem comes with something like fixing an issue on the x.1 branch,
> testing the fix, and then deciding that the fix should be backported.
> What happens now is that you can grab the fix from the x.1 branch (via
> git cp). However, it is likely that the fix isn't going to apply
> cleanly. Then you make the modifications in x.0 and commit. However, you
> eventually have to re-merge this fix back into develop, which breaks
> everything.

That's why I usually check in fixes to master - they get propagated to
develop, mostly without any additional work. This is probably the wrong
way. Otoh, I did not know the develop branch always is (or should be) in
a working state. I expect the "HEAD" branch to have broken features
every now and then. I usually develop minor bug fixes against maint,
sometimes even against a snapshot of the production environment and
bring it into git step by step later.

> If set up with x.1 as master, in this scenario we could have
> cherry-picked the fix into the x.0 branch - do any additional fixes -
> and that would be it. No worries about having to merge it back into
> master. Cherry-picks would work the other way also.
>
> The days of bulk merging are probably over. Don't know about others, but
> I no longer do any new features on x.0 - it is bugfixes only, and
> generally after I fix them on develop.
>
> The bigger issue is probably the fact that it becomes tough (if not
> impossible) to "version" the various applications when everything is
> lumped together in a single repo. E.g. IMP 5.0 is done (from a
> development standpoint) but Hermes hasn't been released yet and probably
> shouldn't be in develop.
>
> Maybe what I am trying to say is: we might need to revisit the idea of a
> git-repo for every application (not to mention every framework package).
> That's really the only way to keep this all clean and correct.

At least separating framework, horde base and apps would help.  I don't
see the benefit of checking out 80+ git repos just to get a working
develop/test installation of horde + my app under test. But I don't
really need folks and ansel around either when I'm looking at, say,
kronolith or sesha.

--
Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer