[dev] [commits] Horde branch master updated. 70ad1361e25088ff5cf8f2a2b6de9ec792bce3cf

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Wed Feb 15 23:10:25 UTC 2012

> commit 70ad1361e25088ff5cf8f2a2b6de9ec792bce3cf
> Author: Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>
> Date:   Wed Feb 15 15:05:47 2012 -0700
>
>     2nd attempt at fixing botched merge
>
>  imp/lib/Spam.php |    2 +-
>
> http://git.horde.org/horde-git/-/commit/70ad1361e25088ff5cf8f2a2b6de9ec792bce3cf

This whole mess was due to the fact that I think we currently have our
Git repo set up incorrectly.

master should always point to the most up-to-date (read: bleeding
edge) code.  When we decided to fork the x.1 releases, we should have
moved the current (x.0) code to a branch and then continued using
master as HEAD.

The problem comes with something like fixing an issue on the x.1
branch, testing the fix, and then deciding that the fix should be
backported.  What happens now is that you can grab the fix from the
x.1 branch (via git cp).  However, it is likely that the fix isn't
going to apply cleanly.  Then you make the modifications in x.0 and
commit.  However, you eventually have to re-merge this fix back into
develop, which breaks everything.

If set up with x.1 as master, in this scenario we could have
cherry-picked the fix into the x.0 branch - do any additional fixes -
and that would be it.  No worries about having to merge it back into
master.  Cherry-picks would work the other way also.

The days of bulk merging are probably over.  Don't know about others,
but I no longer do any new features on x.0 - it is bugfixes only, and
generally after I fix them on develop.

The bigger issue is probably the fact that it becomes tough (if not
impossible) to "version" the various applications when everything is
lumped together in a single repo.  E.g. IMP 5.0 is done (from a
development standpoint) but Hermes hasn't been released yet and
probably shouldn't be in develop.

Maybe what I am trying to say is: we might need to revisit the idea of
a git-repo for every application (not to mention every framework
package).  That's really the only way to keep this all clean and
correct.

michael