[dev] Horde 5?

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Mon Feb 27 07:32:59 UTC 2012

Quoting Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel at horde.org>:

>>> I would love to start breaking BC and removing deprecated stuff, since
>>> it seemed like half of the work/fixes I did this evening was figuring
>>> out how to keep compatibility rather than fixing the problem.
>>>
>>> But I also think before we start work on Horde 5 we should probably
>>> decide on how (or if) to setup the git repo differently than what we
>>> currently have. Meaning: separate git repos for each
>>> application/framework going forward?
>>
>> Don't know if we shouldn't postpone this repo reorg to release time.
>
> If somehow possible I would say we should definitely postpone this.
>
> Michael, do you see serious issues ahead in case we don't reorganize
> the repo before the next release?
>
> Not that I wouldn't like to break up the repo. I said so before and
> if we are actually considering this I'm really happy. I'll
> definitely invest my part in ensuring that we have the tools ready
> to allow working based on a splitted repository. Might mean I will
> take a closer look at "composer" which could help.

My personal experience recently has been that I am spending as much
(if not more) time dealing with branch management than with items like
fixing bugs or adding new features.  As far as developer efficiency is
concerned, this is a major issue, and one I would rather address
sooner than later.  But I realize I may be in the minority here.

michael