[dev] Horde 5?

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at horde.org
Mon Feb 27 07:45:56 UTC 2012

> Quoting Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel at horde.org>:

>>> Don't know if we shouldn't postpone this repo reorg to release time.
>>
>> If somehow possible I would say we should definitely postpone this.
>>
>> Michael, do you see serious issues ahead in case we don't
>> reorganize the repo before the next release?
>>
>> Not that I wouldn't like to break up the repo. I said so before and
>> if we are actually considering this I'm really happy. I'll
>> definitely invest my part in ensuring that we have the tools ready
>> to allow working based on a splitted repository. Might mean I will
>> take a closer look at "composer" which could help.
>
> My personal experience recently has been that I am spending as much
> (if not more) time dealing with branch management than with items
> like fixing bugs or adding new features.  As far as developer
> efficiency is concerned, this is a major issue, and one I would
> rather address sooner than later.  But I realize I may be in the
> minority here.

At the moment I guess we'd still need to discuss how much splitting we
actually want. I would like to go for one repo per application and one
repo for every framework package. If I remember correctly others were
completely against the split or wanted to keep the framework in a
monolithic block.

This decision probably already includes a number of technical details
and issues to consider. I know that I didn't wrap my head around the
topic completely yet and I would assume that I'm still missing more
than half of the things that splitting the repo would actually affect.

At the moment I assume however that we could do it package by package
anyhow. Why not experimentally copy IMP into its own repo and see what
this would entail and what this would mean for building packages from
it?

Gunnar