[dev] Horde 5?

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Mon Feb 27 07:40:28 UTC 2012

Quoting Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel at horde.org>:

> Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:

>>> Don't know if we shouldn't postpone this repo reorg to release time.
>>
>> I would vehemently disagree with this statement.  The time to
>> change repo structure must occur during the developmental window,
>> not right after the first stable version is released.  What if we
>> discover that we can't accommodate a new structure under Horde 5,
>> as released?
>
> We'd stick to the monolithic repository for Horde 5 then and would
> prepare Horde 6 in the splitted repository.
>
> Question is: Are there issues to be expected that will bite us later
> in case we go with a monolithic repo for the switch from Horde 4 to
> Horde 5?

The major issue wouldn't bite us immediately, but it would affect when
we start doing Horde 6 development and start merging fixes back into
Horde 5.  This is the problem I recently ran into, and it broke a
bunch of stuff in IMP 5 due to major issues with a merge.

These fixes were all bugfixes, but they didn't apply correctly to IMP
5.0.  And since I no longer run IMP 5.0, I would have never caught
these issues save for the fact that one of my clients was noticing
problems.  That was a fortunate occurrence, not the norm.

And the reverse is true also.  I just noticed that the Edit As New
menu item I added to IMP 5.0 a few days ago got lost in 5.1 due to a
double conflict in a merge (e.g. stuff was merged from 5.1 -> 5.0,
this merge needed to be edited to work in 5.0, then when 5.0 was
merged back into 5.1 this commit got lost).

michael