[dev] Horde 5?

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at horde.org
Mon Feb 27 08:11:26 UTC 2012

> Quoting Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel at horde.org>:
>
>> Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:

>>> I would vehemently disagree with this statement.  The time to
>>> change repo structure must occur during the developmental window,
>>> not right after the first stable version is released.  What if we
>>> discover that we can't accommodate a new structure under Horde 5,
>>> as released?
>>
>> We'd stick to the monolithic repository for Horde 5 then and would
>> prepare Horde 6 in the splitted repository.
>>
>> Question is: Are there issues to be expected that will bite us
>> later in case we go with a monolithic repo for the switch from
>> Horde 4 to Horde 5?
>
> The major issue wouldn't bite us immediately, but it would affect
> when we start doing Horde 6 development and start merging fixes back
> into Horde 5.  This is the problem I recently ran into, and it broke
> a bunch of stuff in IMP 5 due to major issues with a merge.
>
> These fixes were all bugfixes, but they didn't apply correctly to
> IMP 5.0.  And since I no longer run IMP 5.0, I would have never
> caught these issues save for the fact that one of my clients was
> noticing problems.  That was a fortunate occurrence, not the norm.
>
> And the reverse is true also.  I just noticed that the Edit As New
> menu item I added to IMP 5.0 a few days ago got lost in 5.1 due to a
> double conflict in a merge (e.g. stuff was merged from 5.1 -> 5.0,
> this merge needed to be edited to work in 5.0, then when 5.0 was
> merged back into 5.1 this commit got lost).

At first sight this sounds like a pure git problem however. Especially
the "Edit As New" commit: This is restricted to the IMP component
anyway. Would splitting the repo into single components help here? I
would assume such conflicts could happen in just the same way?

I know I still lack deeper insight in the more complex git merge
techniques. SVN obviously fails at cyclic merging which I have the joy
to experience weekly at the moment. But I assumed this is less
problematic in git.

Cheers,

Gunnar