[dev] Horde 5?

Ralf Lang lang at b1-systems.de
Mon Feb 27 08:17:40 UTC 2012

>> My personal experience recently has been that I am spending as much
>> (if not more) time dealing with branch management than with items like
>> fixing bugs or adding new features. As far as developer efficiency is
>> concerned, this is a major issue, and one I would rather address
>> sooner than later. But I realize I may be in the minority here.
>
> At the moment I guess we'd still need to discuss how much splitting we
> actually want. I would like to go for one repo per application and one
> repo for every framework package. If I remember correctly others were
> completely against the split or wanted to keep the framework in a
> monolithic block.

For me, it's about tools. If we have the tools to checkout/sync 80+
repos for the base system efficiently, I am not at all against splitting
"framework" into separate repos.

> This decision probably already includes a number of technical details
> and issues to consider. I know that I didn't wrap my head around the
> topic completely yet and I would assume that I'm still missing more than
> half of the things that splitting the repo would actually affect.

How will these development workflows / tools work without actually
installing horde?

* checking out enough stuff to run install_dev
* sync change branch on 80+ repos
* horde-components change
* horde-translation -b [root] update -m [mod] -l [loc]
* running the test suite

I'm sure this can be done, the jenkins setup does it. I'm only unsure if
we want to invest the time right now and if we do, if we want to change
release date.

--
Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer