[dev] Horde 5?

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Mon Feb 27 18:48:32 UTC 2012

> So maybe this is less an issue with repo setup than it was with our
> (incorrect, IMHO) decision to have the development work proceed on a
> topic branch.  What we should have done is branched the stable, H4.0
> branch and had development work performed on master.  Semantically,
> this makes the most sense: master is equivalent to CVS HEAD and is
> the most up-to-date, bleeding-edge version of the code.

A couple of other things this would fix:

* We wouldn't get the annoying merge conflicts in CHANGES/package.xml
when developing, since we would never be merging those changes from
the stable branch back to master.
* I, for one, have been guilty of adding features to stable branches
before they are necessarily ready.  Most of this is due to the
overhead of setting up another environment (e.g. develop) to correctly
work on.  Considering that our goal is (or should) be to provide
bug-fixes/minor tweaking only for stable apps, immediately branching
the stable release into a topic branch reduces/eliminates the desire
to add new features to the stable branch and keeps this sort of
development on the master branch.  This was one aspect of CVS
development that I felt worked well - the addition of git shouldn't
change the theory behind this, it should just make it much easier for
us to merge and/or cherry-pick between the branches.

michael