[dev] Horde 5?

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Tue Feb 28 14:34:32 UTC 2012

>> So maybe this is less an issue with repo setup than it was with our
>> (incorrect, IMHO) decision to have the development work proceed on
>> a topic branch.  What we should have done is branched the stable,
>> H4.0 branch and had development work performed on master.
>> Semantically, this makes the most sense: master is equivalent to
>> CVS HEAD and is the most up-to-date, bleeding-edge version of the
>> code.
>
> A couple of other things this would fix:
>
> * We wouldn't get the annoying merge conflicts in
> CHANGES/package.xml when developing, since we would never be merging
> those changes from the stable branch back to master.

Sure we would. You still want fixes from the stable branch in master,
so you keep merging and causing conflicts.

> * I, for one, have been guilty of adding features to stable branches
> before they are necessarily ready.  Most of this is due to the
> overhead of setting up another environment (e.g. develop) to
> correctly work on.  Considering that our goal is (or should) be to
> provide bug-fixes/minor tweaking only for stable apps, immediately
> branching the stable release into a topic branch reduces/eliminates
> the desire to add new features to the stable branch and keeps this
> sort of development on the master branch.  This was one aspect of
> CVS development that I felt worked well - the addition of git
> shouldn't change the theory behind this, it should just make it much
> easier for us to merge and/or cherry-pick between the branches.

I don't see how those are related. Not implementing new features in
the stable branch is a matter of discipline, not how you name branches.
And see my other mail. That didn't work well in CVS at all.

Jan.

--
The Horde Project
http://www.horde.org/