[dev] Horde 5?

Vilius Šumskas vilius at lnk.lt
Tue Feb 28 17:12:31 UTC 2012

Sveiki,

>> So I can wait for git reorganization, under the condition that we
>> need to fix branch naming/organization.  Horde 5 needs to be split
>> to a topic branch immediately before releasing the initial version,
>> and we need to use master for bleeding-edge development going forward.

> I'm confused as to why it matters what we call the branch we do
> bleeding-edge development in? "master" is just a name, as is "develop"
> for that matter. There is nothing magical about the "master" branch.
> What am I missing?

I  think  Michael  M means that master by default points to HEAD.
You  can  change  master  to  point to whatever you want though.

Not  as  my  vote  counts here,  but I think Michael's suggestion to branch
stable  release  is  logical. At least it has a proven track record in
Fedora   development.  What  Fedora  does  is  they  do development in
"master"  development unstable branch (or  "develop",  or  whatever you
wanna call it). After planning and major development ends they branch
out   "next_stable_release"   from   "master".  Then  they  do all the
alpha,     beta     and     RC     releases   in "next_stable_release"
branch.  After  the  release,  all the bugfixes and minor features are
applied  back to "next_stable_release" from "master". This way you end
up  with  branches  for  every  major  release,  but that is not a big
problem.  You  can  actually delete old unsupported branches if needed
and still have all the log from master branch.

Again, I know that my vote doesn't count here, but personally me would
be  against spliting repository for every application or/and framework
library.  Usually  I  do  only  minor bug fixes, it would be a pain to
keep  50 or more repositories up to date in development environment,
because all Horde components are interconnected and you cannot develop
and test if one of them is outdated.

--
Best regards,
 Vilius