[dev] Horde 5?

Vilius Šumskas vilius at lnk.lt
Tue Feb 28 19:40:50 UTC 2012

Hi,

>>> While I, too, am somewhat opposed to splitting the repo, I have to
>>> disagree with some of your reasoning. We are striving to make our
>>> components atomic. In fact, most of our framework libraries ARE
>>> actually usable as stand-alone components, and do not require a
>>> traditional horde install to work. That is one of the arguments for
>>> splitting the framework libraries - to make them appear more atomic
>>> and to relieve a developer from the chore of having to install the
>>> whole horde stack if he/she wants to help develop the code for a
>>> single library.
>>
>> Yes,  most of the libraries doesn't require a whole horde install, but
>> still  they  need  other libraries usually. At least Horde_Autoloader,
>> Horde_Exception,  Horde_Translation  and a few others. I don't see how
>> splitting  the  repository  would help here. Quite the opposite. Let's
>> say I want to work on Horde_View. For splitted repository I would have
>> to  actually know the dependency list and grab repositories one by one
>> for 5-7 libraries.
>>
>> Or  let's say I would want to work on a new Horde application.
>> Again, I would have
>> to  actually  know  all  the  features  I  want  to  implement  in new
>> application  in  advance,  clone  all needed libraries one by one, and
>> update them later during development.
>>
>> At  least  for  me  cloning one repository is a lot easier. Especially
>> when  git  is so great with big repositories and considering speed of
>> the internet nowaways.

> This is a question of having the right tools for the job. Given the
> toolset we currently use you are of course right. That wouldn't make
> any sense and is way to cumbersome.

> But other PHP frameworks are doing exactly the same thing: they start
> to split their software into components. This makes reuse a lot
> easier. Developers can choose the best parts from the frameworks they
> like. And having clearly delineated interfaces between your modules
> help the development in general.

> One of the results from Symfony 2 is the "composer" tool: It is
> specifically designed for this "many-git-repositories" situation. They
> try to use it as package manager in general and I'm still skeptical if
> that will really work out. But for the development situation it may
> actually help.

Even  with  improved  toolset  and  as  a  developer I don't buy this.
Library  dependencies and repository structure are two different things
for  me.  Having  one big repository doesn't prevent you from choosing
"best parts from the framework".

I  feel  like  emulating  package  manager  is too much "overhead" for
development.   Keep  in  mind  that  not  every developer uses Unix. I
personally  develop  on  Windows  with  TortoiseGUI/Editplus IDE.  I  would have to
specifically   set   my  tools to use "components" somehow, because in
splitted  repository "components" would become a requirement.

Also having  all  the  libraries  in one repository could help market
Horde  as  a  platform for applications, not as a set of separate libraries. IMHO it is
more important.

--
Best regards,
 Vilius