[dev] Horde 5?

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at horde.org
Tue Feb 28 20:32:02 UTC 2012

Zitat von Vilius ?umskas <vilius at lnk.lt>:

> Hi,

>>> Yes,  most of the libraries doesn't require a whole horde install, but
>>> still  they  need  other libraries usually. At least Horde_Autoloader,
>>> Horde_Exception,  Horde_Translation  and a few others. I don't see how
>>> splitting  the  repository  would help here. Quite the opposite. Let's
>>> say I want to work on Horde_View. For splitted repository I would have
>>> to  actually know the dependency list and grab repositories one by one
>>> for 5-7 libraries.
>>>
>>> Or  let's say I would want to work on a new Horde application.
>>> Again, I would have
>>> to  actually  know  all  the  features  I  want  to  implement  in new
>>> application  in  advance,  clone  all needed libraries one by one, and
>>> update them later during development.
>>>
>>> At  least  for  me  cloning one repository is a lot easier. Especially
>>> when  git  is so great with big repositories and considering speed of
>>> the internet nowaways.
>
>> This is a question of having the right tools for the job. Given the
>> toolset we currently use you are of course right. That wouldn't make
>> any sense and is way to cumbersome.
>
>> But other PHP frameworks are doing exactly the same thing: they start
>> to split their software into components. This makes reuse a lot
>> easier. Developers can choose the best parts from the frameworks they
>> like. And having clearly delineated interfaces between your modules
>> help the development in general.
>
>> One of the results from Symfony 2 is the "composer" tool: It is
>> specifically designed for this "many-git-repositories" situation. They
>> try to use it as package manager in general and I'm still skeptical if
>> that will really work out. But for the development situation it may
>> actually help.
>
> Even  with  improved  toolset  and  as  a  developer I don't buy this.
> Library  dependencies and repository structure are two different things
> for  me.  Having  one big repository doesn't prevent you from choosing
> "best parts from the framework".

It does not prevent it but it makes it more difficult. With a "repo
per component" strategy you can follow exactly the code you are
interested in via the commit stream and will not need to try to
isolate the interesting bits from the noise of the whole batch of
components you are not interested in. This is something I still miss
from the CVS days where the commit mail immediately told me if I want
to take a close look or if it is just something I'll peek into if I
have the time. Pull requests also go to exactly one component, testing
runs with just this one component, and in the end all components are
treated somewhat equally - it does not matter wether the path starts
with "framework/" or not.

I definitely won't say that you can't work with a monolithic
repository. We are doing it every day and it works just fine. But
every time I hit something of the things I outlined above - I have the
feeling that is not the correct model. We already do 100 components
and these would better fit into 100 repos.

> I  feel  like  emulating  package  manager  is too much "overhead" for
> development.

No. Absolutely not. Package management is the key element and one of
the reasons why I work with Horde. It is the one central element that
I believe many, many web apps didn't get right so far. Why are
distributions successful after all? You don't install Debian from a
single tar archive and slap it onto your hard drive. The flexibility
you get from a distribution is one of the key factors that make them
attractive.

Yes, web applications are a different kind of beast. But everyone is
moving into the cloud now and all these web application are getting
more complex by the minute. I know installing Horde is not trivial -
but updating is - at least since Horde 4.0. And I consider that
extremely important. It allows us to have a fast paced development, it
allows us to push releases quickly, it allows the admins to update
immediately, to keep their systems secure. This is mandatory. There
are Horde 3 installations of large universities out there that display
"Copyright 1999-2006". Package management is what allows to update
quickly while working with an extremely complex and flexible software.
We don't care which apps you install - the update will work anyway. Of
course PEAR is a crappy package manager - but it is at least something
and I hope time will give us better tools.

> Keep  in  mind  that  not  every developer uses Unix. I
> personally  develop  on  Windows  with  TortoiseGUI/Editplus IDE.  I
>  would have to
> specifically   set   my  tools to use "components" somehow, because in
> splitted  repository "components" would become a requirement.

For every one of the core developers it is already a requirement.
PHPUnit is a requirement for any Horde developer as well. These are
PHP tools, they can be easily installed on any system that supports
PHP. Granted - we still lack decent docs that would make that easy.
But of course there are requirements to any development environment.
And if I look at how these requirements have evolved during the time I
have been PHP developer - there has been quite some changes since my
initial days. PHPUnit, PHP Code Sniffer, Pdepend, PEAR, PHP documentor
  and probably other stuff I can't think of at the moment.

> Also having  all  the  libraries  in one repository could help market
> Horde  as  a  platform for applications, not as a set of separate
> libraries. IMHO it is
> more important.

Horde as a platform for web applications is also more important to me
than promoting Horde as a development framework. But I don't see how a
single repo has a significant effect here.

Cheers,

Gunnar