[dev] Horde 5?

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at horde.org
Wed Feb 29 09:04:13 UTC 2012

Zitat von Vilius Šumskas <vilius at lnk.lt>:

> Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel at horde.org> rašė:
>
>> Zitat von Vilius ?umskas <vilius at lnk.lt>:
>>
>>> Sveiki,

>>> Yes, I miss path in the commit email too. However I feel like it could
>>> be  reparsed  from the email itself back to the subject with the right
>>> piece of code.
>>
>> Yes, it could. I think Michael S. once started on that but it was
>> something that probably didn't have enough of a priority to be
>> further pursued.
>>

>>> Pulling  and  testing  is  not really important to me, because I'm not
>>> core developer (see below).

>>> I  completely  agree  with everything you say here, however I was
>>> talking  about  package  manager  (say  "components")  for development
>>> environment.  IMHO  making  development environment harder to set just
>>> pushes  other possible contributor away from Horde, just as much
>>> as difficult
>>> APIs or unreadable code  does. Especially when we want someone to
>>> reuse our code.
>>
>> This shouldn't be hard at all. The development setup should take a
>> single command after cloning the git repository and only requires
>> PHP and a network connection - the latter being necessary for the
>> cloning as well.
>>
>> At the moment I think this actually works and you can run "php
>> horde/components/bin/horde-bootstrap" and get a development setup
>> in "horde/lib". I know I would still have a decent amount of work
>> to do before this successfully works with a splitted repo. But if
>> it would not be working like this then I would agree with you.
>
> Why I like Git is that you don't need all of that. You can clone a
> whole project in a matter of seconds and have full log almost
> anywhere. Do the development offline and push back to the source.
> Call it "accelerated development".
>
> For example usually I have only a laptop with me with simple
> git/editor installation on it. If the client calls me and says that
> their software is not working right and if that software is based on
> Horde usually I clone master Horde repository from github, fix the
> problem, cherry-pick and push it to my in-house clients' repository.

How is the clients repo structured? Is that a clone of the Horde repo
and do you run dev_install from it? Or is it a repository of the
installation itself? If you say "cherry-pick" - do you extract a patch
from your checkout of the Horde repo or do you do a "git cherry-pick".

> If the fix is essential and if I have time I also contribute the
> same patch to Horde.
>
> This would not work with splitted repositories as in most cases I
> don't even know which component has the bug. So I would have to
> clone my in-house repository which should be a somewhat composite
> repository of all Horde components used in my application and my own
> code. Not sure if this even can be configured. Not to mention that
> when I clone from in-house repository it is more difficult to
> contribute the same fix to Horde. At least I have to check the patch
> against original master/develop of Horde.

I think at the moment I do not yet fully understand the setup to
bridge the gap on how that would look like with a splitted repo. Can
you provide more details?

> That said my main occupation is not a developer and mostly I'm
> speaking from my own perpective here. So take my words with a grain
> of salt. I just want that contribution to Horde can still be done by
> simple guys like me, not only expert developers :)

Yes, absolutely and without a doubt.

Cheers,

Gunnar