[dev] [commits] Horde branch master updated. 896d45e5b0173cec34507a71100417e76a7b4a1b

Ralf Lang lang at b1-systems.de
Wed Mar 14 11:36:20 UTC 2012

Am 14.03.2012 09:14, schrieb Jan Schneider:

> Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:
>
>> The branch "master" has been updated. The following is a summary
>> of the commits.
>>
>> from: c05da3d7fef551ac8dd73d41f48aa507f988982e
>>
>> 896d45e Doc tweaks

commit 896d45e5b0173cec34507a71100417e76a7b4a1b
>> Author: Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org> Date:   Wed Mar 14
>> 00:15:23 2012 -0600
>>
>> Doc tweaks
>>
>> We shouldn't outright recommend installing PHP from package
>> manager, since many packages won't work with Horde
>> out-of-the-box.
>
> Not sure what you mean with that. I haven't compiled PHP for years
> just to get Horde running. It's simply not necessary anymore with
> any decent distribution, and people tend to shoot themselves in the
> foot if they start compiling their own PHP. We *should* recommend
> installing from the distribution packages.
>
> Jan.

+1. When I have PHP classes, I always show people how to install php
and extensions/pecl modules from package manager.

I'm not even sure I want to mix&match distribution pear with "pear
install" pear although it works with debian and suse.

Installing php from source is not preferred for the same reasons as
installing distributed PHP frameworks from tarball blob.

- --
Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer
Tel.: +49-170-6381563