[dev] UI feedback

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Tue Jul 3 18:33:07 UTC 2012

Quoting Vilius Šumskas <vilius at lnk.lt>:

>> * Popdown menus should automatically trigger on icon hover.  Don't
>> think this was part of the previous theme, so this is instead a
>> feature request.
>
> This  would work terribly on  touch  devices.  Nowadays eveybody should avoid
> mouseover triggers.

Which is why we have a specific smartmobile view, designed for phones
and tablets.

Saying that mouseover triggers should not be used in our full featured
UI is a terrible assumption, however.  It is precisely these sort of
features that make the full interface more usable and more useful.
"Dumbing down" our full-featured interface to allow it to work on
non-capable devices is a giant step backwards.

If you have a tablet, you have to understand its clunky UI
limitations.  If you want to get real work done, no technology has yet
surpassed a decent sized screen and a mouse.

michael