[dev] UI feedback

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Tue Jul 10 20:35:15 UTC 2012

>>> Since they have context menus, shouldn't they have a popdown icon
>>> anyway, for consistency? Consistency is also the reason that I
>>> removed the default underline, because those, and the address book
>>> links in the compose window, were the only active elements that
>>> used those markup.
>>
>> I think we used to have popdown icons for each address, but it was
>> a usability nightmare (especially when you had more than a few
>> addresses).  I believe it was sort of a compromise solution to
>> remove the icons but keep the popdown feature.  I understand
>> consistency, but I felt that the old way we handled this was
>> acceptable.  Users had an indication they could click on names and
>> the popdown was not unexpected behavior.
>
> I see how this could get messy with a lot of addresses. I still like
> to try this first.

Using this more, we definitely need to do something here.  I still
feel like underlining is a requirement.  Right now, it is impossible
to distinguish between names... especially if those names have commas
in them.

e.g. A message to "Bob", "Smith, John", and "Larry Lastname" looks like:

To: Bob, Smith, John, Larry Lastname

Even adding popdown icons, this is not going to make this any easier
to read.  There has to be a way to associate the entire name WITHOUT
using quotation marks, whether that is through underlining the entire
name or highlighting the background of the entire name.

michael