[dev] [commits] Horde branch develop updated. ab8291f8906bbbae519f302fa7ea94d515bfd21f

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Thu Jul 12 19:20:34 UTC 2012

> commit ab8291f8906bbbae519f302fa7ea94d515bfd21f
> Author: Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org>
> Date:   Thu Jul 12 19:55:36 2012 +0200
>
>     Revert "Shrink New Message Font Size"
>
>     The "New" button is central piece of the new design, you cannot
> simply change
>     it completely like that. The small font doesn't work at all with
> the design of
>     the button, and it's inconsistent with the other apps.
>     That it wraps doesn't have anything to do with the screen size,
> but with the
>     sidebar width. As an alternative, I suggest we add some code so
> that you can
>     drag the sidebar only so narrow that the button doesn't wrap.

When previously doing analytics, we discovered the majority of the
users NEVER use anything other than the INBOX.  So enforcing a wider
default sidebar is detrimental to more users.  The default sidebar is
wide enough as it is.

The real question I have after using the UI for a bit is why the
refresh button is lumped with the Compose message button?  These two
have NOTHING in common.  It can be argued that they are the two most
important actions in the sidebar, and they get less space than every
other action there.  I have multiple times clicked on Compose message
instead of refresh (popping up an unwanted compose window) and vice
versa (clicked and waited for a compose window to open, and nothing
happened because I clicked on refresh).

It seems to me that lumping these two actions is not consistent with
the other applications (e.g. turba, nag).  So that seems to be the
issue: the refresh button needs to be moved, in which case font size
should not be an issue.

michael