[dev] [commits] Horde branch develop updated. ab8291f8906bbbae519f302fa7ea94d515bfd21f

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Thu Jul 12 19:36:12 UTC 2012

>> commit ab8291f8906bbbae519f302fa7ea94d515bfd21f
>> Author: Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org>
>> Date:   Thu Jul 12 19:55:36 2012 +0200
>>
>>    Revert "Shrink New Message Font Size"
>>
>>    The "New" button is central piece of the new design, you cannot
>> simply change
>>    it completely like that. The small font doesn't work at all with
>> the design of
>>    the button, and it's inconsistent with the other apps.
>>    That it wraps doesn't have anything to do with the screen size,
>> but with the
>>    sidebar width. As an alternative, I suggest we add some code so
>> that you can
>>    drag the sidebar only so narrow that the button doesn't wrap.
>
> When previously doing analytics, we discovered the majority of the
> users NEVER use anything other than the INBOX.  So enforcing a wider
> default sidebar is detrimental to more users.  The default sidebar
> is wide enough as it is.
>
> The real question I have after using the UI for a bit is why the
> refresh button is lumped with the Compose message button?  These two
> have NOTHING in common.  It can be argued that they are the two most
> important actions in the sidebar, and they get less space than every
> other action there.  I have multiple times clicked on Compose
> message instead of refresh (popping up an unwanted compose window)
> and vice versa (clicked and waited for a compose window to open, and
> nothing happened because I clicked on refresh).
>
> It seems to me that lumping these two actions is not consistent with
> the other applications (e.g. turba, nag).  So that seems to be the
> issue: the refresh button needs to be moved, in which case font size
> should not be an issue.

Good point. We will have a button there that makes sense in other
applications though. This is going to be the place for the quick-add
buttons in Kronolith and Nag.

I don't have any objections against finding a more suitable place for
a refresh link/button in IMP. That should be a place that could be
used consistently in other ajax apps in the future though.
But that won't solve the problem completely for other apps.

Another issue that's related: in the future the sidebar should be
resizable in any app, whether dynamic or traditional. Originally I
planned to use a common width setting for all applications, but that
won't work with the autodetected min-width that I suggested.

--
Jan Schneider
The Horde Project