[dev] Web accessible git folder on OS X

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Tue Jul 31 02:12:17 UTC 2012

Quoting Luis Felipe Marzagao <lfbm.andamentos at gmail.com>:

> Hello:
>
> Probably a non-horde question, but I would like to hear from others
> if possible.
>
> Is it just me or is it extremely difficult to run a horde web
> accessible git tree in Mac OS X?

I do all/most of my development on my MBP. It's running a
lighttpd/php-fastcgi stack installed via MacPorts. Had no specific
issues with PEAR.

> After several tries with MAMP and having a lot of trouble with pear,
> I decided to use native php+pear that comes with OS X (snow leopard).
>
> After hours configuring it all and being able to successfully run
> web apps such as phpMyAdmin, I followed instructions from here
> (http://www.horde.org/development/git#making-development-repos-web-accessible) and horde test.php page gave an error msg about not finding textdomain() function in
> Registry.php.

> God! In Ubuntu, CentOS and alikes its so easy to get it working.
>
> What am I missing? Why is it so hard in OS X? Any tips or advices?

The only thing I can say that ever gave me a problem (other than the
annoying case insensitive file system) was that you have to be certain
to use the *real* file paths when configuring the registry.conf file.
E.g., /var and /tmp are actually a symlink to /private/var and
/private/tmp on OS X's filesystem. Be sure to use the /private paths.
--
mike

The Horde Project (www.horde.org)
mrubinsk at horde.org