[dev] Splitting the Horde repository without splitting it

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Tue Aug 7 09:53:45 UTC 2012

Hi!

A while ago we discussed the merits of splitting the Horde git
repostiory into its different module. I learned about "git subtree" last
week and so far my testing indicated that it would allow us to get the
best of both worlds: having both the monolithic repo (our main
workspace) and the splitted repositories. Exchanging commits both ways
should be possible.

I described the approach with a blog post:

http://log.pardus.de/2012/08/modular-git-with-git-subtree.html

In case people would agree to use "git subtree" we should probably add
another repository on our dev server that will solely be used for the
splitting. The post-receive hook should not end up in the main repo as
that would mean that the splitting over 100 repos would occur with each
an every commit. This would probably slow down the commit process and
nothing I would like to do without more testing.

We would also need to add repositories on github that would represent
the different modules?

Any comments concerning "git subtree"?

Cheers,

Gunnar