[dev] New functionality: email filtering protected with password

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Tue Oct 23 08:45:55 UTC 2012

Zitat von Ralf Lang <lang at b1-systems.de>:

> Am 23.10.2012 00:02, schrieb Ignacio L.P.:
>> Hi all. I am new to horde. I am considering implementing a new
>> feature, but first of all I would like to know whether it is really
>> "new" ... this is why I turn first to this mailing list.
>>
>> The functionality is to protect the filter function with a
>> username/password different from the username/password of the user
>> account. The idea behind this is to manage email accounts for
>> children by providing a "parental control" to the filtering
>> function, so that it is possible for parents to decide how to
>> filter the messages the children could receive or send.
>>
>> Currently several companies provide a service like this, but
>> usually it is a paid service (an example is zillamail.net). I think
>> it would be nice if horde could support such functionality.
>>
>> Thanks a lot in advance.
>
> I don't know how this will work out. There is a service behind this,
> sieve or procmail mostly. This service can be accessed circumventing
> ingo mail filter UI. Otoh, you need the credentials of the user to
> manipulate his filters.
>
> But I have another use case:
>
> Allow a secretary to change a user's vacation status without knowing
> his password.
>
> But as I said, I don't have any idea how to manipulate the backend
> without the user's credentials/with alternate credentials.

This is already possible and implemented via the Share system in Ingo.
It must be supported by the backend though, e.g. via Sieve and an
admin account on Cyrus.

This won't keep the users from editing their own filters though, so
that indeed would need to be implemented. A duct tape could be the new
authentication hook in Ingo H5.
--
Jan Schneider
The Horde Project