[dev] [commits] Horde branch master updated. 793c96d68d8efdb94f3184b9a67ae3f03ddda755

Ralf Lang lang at b1-systems.de
Mon Nov 12 22:06:40 UTC 2012

Am 12.11.2012 22:58, schrieb Jan Schneider:

> Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:

>>> Unless I'm missing something, they are (or at least were at some
>>> point) necessary to run individual unit test, opposed to a complete
>>> test suite for a library.
>>
>> I've never personally assumed that we would run tests separately (any
>> tests I have written won't work this way).
>>
>> It would be a real PITA to have to include the Autoload library in
>> every single individual unit test.  The harder it is to create a unit
>> test, the less motivation there is to create such tests.  If this is
>> really a requirement, I personally will condense all UnitTests into a
>> single file so I don't have to deal with this kind of overhead crap.
>
> How is copy and pasting a single line overhead crap? I run the full
> suites 99% of the time too, but the larger the suites get, and the more
> often you only need a single test out of the suite for tracking down a
> bug, the more annoying it is if you have to wait a minutes for each test
> run. I do this only once in a few months but then it comes handy.
> And a unit test purist will of course tell you that it's a key point to
> be able to run individual small tests, but I won't, and please don't
> take a too close look at my Horde_Group or Horde_Share tests.

More importantly tests should be able to run in any given order. I don't
think a single include makes it too hard, although it is right: It
should be easy to write tests. The difficulty I have writing tests does
not come from the number of include lines but from setting up scenarios.

--
Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer
Mail: lang at b1-systems.de

B1 Systems GmbH Osterfeldstraße 7 / 85088 Vohburg /
http://www.b1-systems.de