[dev] [commits] Horde branch FRAMEWORK_5_0 updated. 450bba25ab112a31ff062869971d780fd011f8f5

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Tue Apr 16 23:46:11 UTC 2013

> Quoting Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:
>
>> Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:

>>> My question is why are *ANY* framework commits being made to
>>> FRAMEWORK_5_0 at this time.  This doesn't make sense.  Framework
>>> code is not tied to 5.0 (or any other Horde version for that
>>> matter).
>>
>> Sure it is. We are still doing synchronized releases for minor
>> versions. I.e., new features for Horde 5.1. Bug fixes for
>> functionality that exists in FRAMEWORK_5_0 are still being built
>> from FRAMEWORK_5_0.
>
> That's absolutely not how it works though.  Under this reasoning,
> there is no purpose to maintaining separately distributed libraries
> since you want to tie certain versions to certain releases.

That's part of what http://wiki.horde.org/Doc/Dev/ReleaseCycle says
though - that we will have coordinated minor releases. Plus, I'm not
tying a framework release to a specific Horde version, I'm waiting to
release a new piece of functionality in Horde_ActiveSync until new
functionality in Horde 5.1 (which is required for the new AS
functionality to work fully) is released. The new 2.4.0 version of
ActiveSync should work fine with Horde 5.0.

>> The new features in the ActiveSync code (which will be in
>> ActiveSync 2.4.0), while BC with Horde 5.0, still required
>> substantial changes to the code base and deserve to go through the
>> full release cycle of 5.1 before they are declared stable.
>
> But what does version 2.4 have to do with Horde 5.0?  How is it any
> different than veersion 2.5? Or version 2.10?  Just because version
> 2.4.x happened to be released concurrently with Horde 5.0.x doesn't
> mean there is anything special about the combination of those two
> branches.

Correct. Well, other than Horde can specify that it requires a
specific minimum version of a package, but that's a different
story...and in fact Horde 5.1 DOES require Horde_ActiveSync 2.4.0. I'm
not saying that there is anything special about a combination of
versions, other then to obtain the full feature set of one library, a
specific version of Horde is required.

> If release version 2.5 is not stable enough for Horde 5.0, it sure
> as heck isn't stable enough for Horde 5.1 either.

No, but how in the world am I going to know for sure if it doesn't go
through the full release process? It's the same argument I was making
regarding the recent CSS compression library change. This is what beta
releases are for, especially for something as fragile as the
ActiveSync protocol. Most of the issues I'm worried about are not
things that can be can be caught by unit testing on my local machine,
or even by testing with the dozen clients I have available. Most of
the issues are due to, shall we say, "features" of clients. As is
evidenced by the almost daily ActiveSync related problems that show up
on the lists.
Finding these issues BEFORE stable release is better than after - and
they can only be fully tested with Horde 5.1.

Maybe I have a different view of a how a minor release should be
released. I see minor releases as requiring at LEAST a beta release
before a stable release and this should include ALL new functionality.

> If you are not comfortable with the stability with a certain
> framework package, you *must* branch the entire repo into a
> different package.

Which is what we all did prior to merging with master, but with our
current branching model we MUST merge these branches at some point
before release and this is the in between state we are in right now.
Obviously once the new packages are released there will be no need to
make library commits to FRAMEWORK_5_0. These are things that, last
week, would have gone into master and not into the 5_1 branches. I see
no reason to not make this distinction now just because the branches
are merged, but not yet released. I agree we still need discussion on
our branching model, but that is a different discussion. We have to
make commits based on what we have today.

> This is exactly what I had to do with several horde_imap_client
> releases - I was uncertain about the stability, and wanted to
> release point version bugfixes of the library.  But claiming that
> 2.4 is somehow "connected" with FRAMEWORK_5_0 makes no sense.

No, but 5.1 requires 2.4.0...and the new functionality requires 5.1 to
be used.

>> Put another way, I'm not going to release ActiveSync 2.4.0 as
>> stable before it has been more widely tested, and I'm not going to
>> hold up bug fixes for the current stable code because of this.

> We may not like it, but that's the reality of our current situation.
>  Namely: there is no way to coherently produce "branches" of
> framework packages.  That's exactly why I have been tremendously
> vocal about moving off of our current repo layout for at least a
> year now.

I would say the same thing, the current situation is not ideal, but
it's what we currently have to work with. Therefore, since I want to
release the new functionality as beta I need to commit bug fix
releases to FRAMEWORK_5_0 while we are still in this before
release/post-merge limbo.
--
mike

The Horde Project (www.horde.org)