[dev] Fancy Horde/Imap_Client documentation

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Tue Jun 18 14:54:57 UTC 2013

> Finally.  It's about time.
>
> Initial implementation has been placed here:
>
> http://dev.horde.org/imap_client/
>
> (Looks a bit like the Routes documentation for some reason...)
>
> Not sure if this is the best place to store this.  Comments welcome.
>  And ideas how to link from our main www.horde.org pages is also
> welcome.
>
> Also would be interested to hear thoughts on what else to put on
> there.  Obviously the examples page needs to be fleshed out more,
> but I'm not going to spend the time doing too much unless/until
> people actually start using it.  So if anybody wants examples of a
> certain feature, now is the time to speak up.

That's a great start! The examples could use a few more inline
comments, to better explain which variable holds what, and what each
used method returns.

Generally I think the documentation is spread in too many places.
While the Routes layout looks nice, it's hard to maintain. And we
already have the tools in horde-components to *distribute* docs to
several places, while *maintaining* it in a single place.
Library docs should be completely maintained in the wiki. It's easier
to edit, and contributions are much easier too. The horde-components
script can pull those docs into the package's doc/ folder. From their,
they will build website docs on www.horde.org. See Horde_Argv for an
example.
This way the docs are available and in sync whereever the user needs
them. And we don't really need a 4th place for docs.
--
Jan Schneider
The Horde Project