[dev] Fancy Horde/Imap_Client documentation

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Tue Jun 18 18:26:20 UTC 2013

> I normally prefer to read the inline phpdoc while coding with a new
> library and I felt the existing phpdoc more than met my needs.

For the record... this is exclusively what I use also.  But I
guarantee we are in the minority - it does take quite a bit of prior
Horde/PHP knowledge to understand things like file layouts to be able
to do this.

> However, if it helps, these are the areas that I personally focused
> on while developing ActiveSync email support, and would have liked
> to have had some more examples:
>
> - Without giving a lesson on the purpose of MODSEQ values etc...
> examples on the use of MODSEQ values and the 'changedsince'
> parameters to fetch recently changed messages.
>
> - Fetching messages that have VANISHED, with a description of why
> you should provide a list of known UIDs when requesting VANISHED
> messages (lesson learned the hard way for me).
>
> - Fetching only certain MIME parts.
>
> - Dealing with encoding issues.
>
> - Using the various options of the search/fetch query object to
> change what is returned.

This last 2-3 are probably the most important.  Right now, the
documentation is trying to be geared to those people who want an
alternative to imap's c-client library.  That's what I want to tailor
the examples to.  I am thinking it might be useful to do some sort of
mapping from c-client methods -> Imap_Client functionality.

The CONDSTORE/QRESYNC stuff is also what I am very interested in also
- since we truly are the only solution that provides this.  So it's a
balancing act of trying to get people to dip their toes into using the
library vs. informing these people -- and letting the more advanced
people know -- that our software can handle this also.

michael