[dev] Git splitting

Ralf Lang lang at b1-systems.de
Thu Jun 20 07:20:41 UTC 2013

Am 20.06.2013 09:15, schrieb Thomas Jarosch:
> On Wednesday, 19. June 2013 23:25:56 Michael M Slusarz wrote:
>> Now that the main portion of the x.1 releases are out the door, time
>> to talk about splitting the Git repo.
>>
>> (If there was any doubt we need to split, try cloning the Git repo
>> from GitHub.  I did it today and it took 3 1/2 minutes.  Ugh)
>
> Forgive my ignorance, won't cloning of all the (small) repositories
> also take 3 1/2 minutes or even more?

Only if you need everything and all. Most contributions apart from main
developers are patches to single libraries or apps. Often they are
developed against stable releases and only ported to the git versions.

On the other hand, if you want to actually _run_ git checkouts, you need
some understanding of what requires what (if no metadata/script handles
that for you).

--
Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer