[dev] Git splitting

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Thu Jun 20 16:11:17 UTC 2013

Quoting Ralf Lang <lang at b1-systems.de>:

> On the other hand, if you want to actually _run_ git checkouts, you need
> some understanding of what requires what (if no metadata/script handles
> that for you).

This is what can hopefully be handled by a dependency manager, whether
we can somehow leverage composer or create our own.

Our next step should be to create a horde-components module that will
automatically create composer.json files from package.xml data.  I
have some base code laying around that I started working on a few
months ago (I found a PHP class on GitHub that appears to do the
necessary package.xml -> composer.json conversion).

It would be useful anyway, whether or not we use composer ourselves,
to define composer.json files for all of our packages/applications as
it gives people another way to install Horde components without any
additional work on our part - I'm assuming these composer.json files
will be auto updated at the same time package.xml is updated.

michael