[dev] Installation Thoughts

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Fri Oct 18 18:26:15 UTC 2013

> I haven't run it myself yet, but this looks pretty awesome. We might
> want to add the following:
> - Support installing both into system-wide and local pear

I thought I had mentioned this in my original message.  Maybe not.

Anyway... yes, this is obviously something to support.  Plan on adding
Horde_Argv to the phar package so that this can all be done via the
command line also.

> - Ask for building pecl packages too

Yes.  This was the original plan.  After initial installation, there
would be prompts as to which PECL packages to install.

Essentially, my initial plan was simply to have the script act as an
automated way of "reading" through the docs/INSTALL file from top to
bottom.

> - Filter pear output to only show important messages
> (http://pear.php.net/bugs/bug.php?id=18461)

I don't want to rewrite PEAR (ugh)... but I wonder how much of this
could be done by directly interfacing with the PEAR libraries.  We
already do this for horde-components stuff.  I think this
functionality exists in the PEAR code - its just not available through
the CLI.  Has the benefit of working on existing installations without
having to worry about patches accepted upstream.

michael