[dev] Constructive Criticism/Venting

Ralf Lang lang at b1-systems.de
Wed Mar 12 06:44:44 UTC 2014

> * We really need to split the git repo (I know, I know, I won't shut up
> about this).  Whether we like it or not, composer is the package manager
> of choice going forward (heck: Pirum is deprecated in favor of
> compose).  And I spent an afternoon trying to get composer to work with
> our current structure, and it simply doesn't work -- it requires both
> individual repos and specific tag naming.

It's been postponed a few times now.
On the pirum thing: This is going to be interesting for packagers. Does
this mean that pear (in any form) is obsolete? This would mean
distributions have to re-tool and rebase their rpm/debs on composer files.

> * Maybe I'm being especially sensitive, but it seems I have seen a LOT
> of unconstructive criticism lately on the lists.  Of the "Horde sucks!"
> or "you suck!" or "I upgraded to a new version, and to my surprise it is
> totally different!  f*** you for changing the code!", or "this software
> sucks because it is missing 1 feature I want even though it does 99% of
> what I need.
[..]

> I'll be the
> first to thank most of the Horde users that provide useful
> dialogue/criticisms/input that is integral to any open source project.
>  But haters are going to hate, and my unscientific subjective census
> feels the negativity is on the uptick.  And I haven't yet figured out
> how to program my spam software to filter out emails based on content.

I know what you mean but I have no fool-proof way to help it.
Interestingly, I don't have this with clients. As soon as there is a
price tag, people either turn constructive or turn away. Don't know if
it helps stopping discussions - let's say on profiles/signatures in imp
- if you can say "Changing this is $$". Doesn't apply to design
decisions like "we won't do this again".

I know I haven't been much help lately - my last feature commit has been
rejected weeks ago and I haven't had the time to fix it yet.

Just my thoughts.

--
Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer