[dev] Constructive Criticism/Venting

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Wed Mar 12 07:07:01 UTC 2014

Quoting Ralf Lang <lang at b1-systems.de>:

> On the pirum thing: This is going to be interesting for packagers. Does
> this mean that pear (in any form) is obsolete? This would mean
> distributions have to re-tool and rebase their rpm/debs on composer files.

My take on the situation is that, for all intents and purposes, PEAR
is dead.  At least going forward.  It exists to install
legacy/existing software.  But no new projects/code is going to use
it.  (I've had some patches accepted into PEAR months ago but there
appears to be little/no motiviation to release a new version.)

Although, that being said, composer lacks a mean to install libraries
globally (at least I'm not aware of one).  Which tools like npm and
ruby gems allow.  So it's not a drop-in replacement for PEAR either.

michael