[dev] Constructive Criticism/Venting

Mathieu Parent math.parent at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 10:50:33 UTC 2014

Hi all,

> Quoting Ralf Lang <lang at b1-systems.de>:
>
>> On the pirum thing: This is going to be interesting for packagers. Does
>> this mean that pear (in any form) is obsolete? This would mean
>> distributions have to re-tool and rebase their rpm/debs on composer files.
>

> My take on the situation is that, for all intents and purposes, PEAR is
> dead.  At least going forward.  It exists to install legacy/existing
> software.  But no new projects/code is going to use it.  (I've had some
> patches accepted into PEAR months ago but there appears to be little/no
> motiviation to release a new version.)

Please don't remove PEAR packages and channel. We use them to make the
debian packages.

> Although, that being said, composer lacks a mean to install libraries
> globally (at least I'm not aware of one).  Which tools like npm and ruby
> gems allow.  So it's not a drop-in replacement for PEAR either.

What is missing in composer:
- clean way to install system-wide
- related: a clean policy to avoid name clashes
- minor: long description in composer.json (it only has short desc)
- PECL support (i.e. you will still need PEAR for horde_lz4)

We also need to adapt our tools, which may take some time.

Regards

--
Mathieu