[dev] Constructive Criticism/Venting

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Fri Mar 14 13:22:35 UTC 2014

> * Maybe I'm being especially sensitive, but it seems I have seen a
> LOT of unconstructive criticism lately on the lists.  Of the "Horde
> sucks!" or "you suck!" or "I upgraded to a new version, and to my
> surprise it is totally different!  f*** you for changing the code!",
> or "this software sucks because it is missing 1 feature I want even
> though it does 99% of what I need. Oh yeah, did I mention that I
> paid nothing for this software, but that factor is irrelevant. And
> oh yeah, I realize this is open source and I can fix/change the
> software to my specifications, or even support the developers to
> help me out, but no! I demand the software work the way *I* want it
> to!"  Maybe it's my mid-lifeness catching up to me, but I remember a
> sunnier time when open source software was a privilege, not a right.
>  I'm wondering if we've now reached a new normal where people tend
> to forget this fact.  I'll be the first to thank most of the Horde
> users that provide useful dialogue/criticisms/input that is integral
> to any open source project.  But haters are going to hate, and my
> unscientific subjective census feels the negativity is on the
> uptick.  And I haven't yet figured out how to program my spam
> software to filter out emails based on content.

I'm pretty sure this is getting worse lately because some large
providers have updated Horde, and more important: CPanel and Plesk
have updated Horde.
We are getting a lot more requests to the LLC too now, because of this.

It's just some background noise that has to be filtered out, at least
where the issue is about either things that already changed years ago,
or about installations that have been upgraded by someone else and
have not been configured properly.
--
Jan Schneider
The Horde Project