[dev] Horde 6 vs. Horde 5.3

Ralf Lang lang at b1-systems.de
Wed Jun 15 17:53:38 UTC 2016

Am 15.06.2016 um 19:23 schrieb Thomas Jarosch:
> Hi Jan,
>
> On Wednesday, 15. June 2016 11:16:02 Michael J Rubinsky wrote:
>>> The flipside is, that:
>>> - Horde 6 will delay even further
>>> - we won't be able to do any refactoring, e.g. switching to namespaces
>>> - we won't have a repository split that would make the libraries
>>> more attractive, e.g. by being available via composer/packagist and
>>> thus attracting external developers
>>> - we won't be able to do long-anticipated BC breaks that currently
>>> hinder some development
>>>
>>> The discussion is open.
> doing a "maintenance" release before Horde 6 is a good idea.
>
> As MJR mentioned, the removal of the basic view in IMP 7 is a bit worrisome
> for a "point release". On the other hand, if the next release would be Horde
> 6 and users were still using those views, they'll complain, too :)
> At least I'm using the minimal view, but hey, let's move forward.
>
> Could we branch off the IMP view changes
> or would that be too much git surgery?
>
> Thomas

I may be wrong here - I think there can be an IMP 7 on top of Horde 5.3
- which would also support IMP 6 with basic views if you need to have
them. Not sure if the Horde 6 IMP would be IMP 7.1 or IMP 8 then.

I am particularly interested in the kronolith upgrade (external
organizer etc) but if there are finite work packages in the library
stack (like conversion to namespaces which would be a large, but very
schematic task) I think I or a B1 colleague could step in.

--
Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer
Mail: lang at b1-systems.de