[dev] Horde 6 vs. Horde 5.3

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Thu Jun 16 13:56:26 UTC 2016

Quoting Ralf Lang <lang at b1-systems.de>:

> Am 15.06.2016 um 19:23 schrieb Thomas Jarosch:
>> Hi Jan,

>> doing a "maintenance" release before Horde 6 is a good idea.
>>
>> As MJR mentioned, the removal of the basic view in IMP 7 is a bit worrisome
>> for a "point release". On the other hand, if the next release would be Horde
>> 6 and users were still using those views, they'll complain, too :)
>> At least I'm using the minimal view, but hey, let's move forward.
>>
>> Could we branch off the IMP view changes
>> or would that be too much git surgery?
>>
>> Thomas
>>
> I may be wrong here - I think there can be an IMP 7 on top of Horde 5.3
> - which would also support IMP 6 with basic views if you need to have
> them. Not sure if the Horde 6 IMP would be IMP 7.1 or IMP 8 then.

While I don't think there is any technical reason this can't be done,
historically we have always had coordinated major releases - that is,
the major version numbers were always increased together across the
applications and indicated a break in backwards compatibility with the
previous major version line.

Either way, it's still the current code in Git master that would be
released whether we call it IMP 7.0 or IMP 6.3. The difference would
be what happens with the rest of the code base - if we can begin
refactoring (and breaking BC) before this release (which would make it
Horde 6/IMP 7) or if we should wait for the major refactoring (and
make this release Horde 5.3/IMP 6.3)