[dev] Javascript in Horde6

Ralf Lang lang at b1-systems.de
Wed Nov 30 11:10:38 UTC 2016

Am 29.11.2016 um 17:46 schrieb Michael J Rubinsky

> Quoting Ralf Lang <lang at b1-systems.de>:

>>> If you want to implement only the mobile view, then you can use
>>> jquery. Our traditional/dynamic views both rely on prototype.js.
>>>
>> OK, so there is no plan to change this when dropping the "traditional"
>> mode for upcoming releases.
>
> Definitely not before Horde 6. For Horde 6 we can, of course, open up
> discussion for this. However, it is very unlikely that we would *drop*
> prototypejs from our code. Providing jQuery.noConflict may be a
> solution, however. The few times I wanted some jquery UI widget, I
> ended up just re-implementing it in prototype :)

Right, I did not intend to suggest throwing away the existing
prototype-based things or to stop using prototype in general or
littering existing apps with yet another js framework.
The use case here is a new horde-based app, reuse of code from one
frontend/view based on jq in the other based on prototype.

For the moment (pre-H6), we limit the jqueryisms and will replace most
with prototype in the dynamic view. We can re-evaluate for H6.
Fortunately, the app is fairly simple.

Just to give a little background:

We intend to opensource as soon as feasible and want to be as compliant
to horde standards and practices as possible.

And we have a whole list of other relatively simple stuff existing,
alpha or "on hold" which might be handy for some of the horde user base,
but isn't fit for release at the moment.
We want to get this Planer tool right and advise our trainees/junior
team members to follow the patterns and practices used there when doing
these other projects.