[dev] non-DFSG compliant licenses used in Ansel

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Tue May 26 19:15:34 UTC 2020

Dear upstream developers,

I have just received notice (and did not spot this myself) from
Debian's ftpmasters, that the files js/lightbox.js and js/slideshow.js
are licensed under non-DFSG [DFSG] licenses (CC-BY-2.5 and
CC-BY-SA-2.0).

As those files contain code from other projects, I assume relicensing
is not an option. The CC >= 3.0 licenses are DFSG compliant.

Alternatively, would it make sense to drop these non-free lightbox.js
and slideshow.js files and replace them by similar implementations?
Instead of lightbox.js, we have jquery-colorbox, jquery-fancybox, or
slimbox.js already available in Debian. Search the web for
slideshow.js also give various results these days.

For now, I cannot get Ansel back into Debian, if this does not get
adjusted upstream. Would it help, if I got one of my staff persons to
work on this? Could someone test, review, approve the proposed code
changes?

Greets,
Mike

[DFSG] - https://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines

--

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
c\o Technik- und Ökologiezentrum Eckernförde

GnuPG Fingerprint: 9BFB AEE8 6C0A A5FF BF22  0782 9AF4 6B30 2577 1B31