[dev] non-DFSG compliant licenses used in Ansel

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Tue May 26 20:24:34 UTC 2020

Quoting Mike Gabriel <mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de>:

> Dear upstream developers,
>
> I have just received notice (and did not spot this myself) from
> Debian's ftpmasters, that the files js/lightbox.js and
> js/slideshow.js are licensed under non-DFSG [DFSG] licenses
> (CC-BY-2.5 and CC-BY-SA-2.0).
>
> As those files contain code from other projects, I assume
> relicensing is not an option. The CC >= 3.0 licenses are DFSG
> compliant.
>
> Alternatively, would it make sense to drop these non-free
> lightbox.js and slideshow.js files and replace them by similar
> implementations? Instead of lightbox.js, we have jquery-colorbox,
> jquery-fancybox, or slimbox.js already available in Debian. Search
> the web for slideshow.js also give various results these days.
>
> For now, I cannot get Ansel back into Debian, if this does not get
> adjusted upstream. Would it help, if I got one of my staff persons
> to work on this? Could someone test, review, approve the proposed
> code changes?

I'll have to investigate this when I have time.  IIRC, I modified both
lightbox.js and slideshow.js quite a bit to remove dependencies on
other js libraries.

Using some other implementation may work, but we don't have the
bandwidth right now to do any major refactoring. Also, keep in mind,
we do not use any jquery solutions in the non-mobile versions of Horde
5.x applications.

I know the current lightbox 2.x is licensed under the MIT license, so
it's possible we can get an ok form the author to change it. I can't
find any current original source online at all for the portion of the
slideshow.js file that was licensed under CC-BY-SA-2.0..

--
mike
The Horde Project