[dev] PHPUnit 8 compat (was: Re: Preparing compatibility with PHPUnit 6)

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Wed Jul 1 15:30:59 UTC 2020

Hi Michael,

On  So 14 Jun 2020 22:34:16 CEST, Michael J Rubinsky wrote:

> Quoting Mike Gabriel <mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de>:
>
>> Hi again,
>>
>> On  Sa 06 Jun 2020 23:25:17 CEST, Mike Gabriel wrote:
>>
>>> I am currently looking into Horde Unit Tests and they all make
>>> severe problem as time has passed and PHPUnit has moved on to
>>> version 8.5.2 in Debian unstable.
>>>
>>> I understand that PHPUnit is a fast moving target, but bundling an
>>> old PHPUnit version in Horde_Test is neither an option for Debian.
>>>
>>> There are several options at hand:
>>>
>>> * pick up PHPUnit test migration, but not to 6, but 8.
>>> * bundle PHPunit 4.8 in php-horde-test in Debian as upstream does
>>> * don't run Debian's autopkgtests on php-horde-* packages
>>>
>>> I guess this original idea of a script that walks over all
>>> packages and updates the test API would be a good idea. However,
>>> is keeping compatibilities with PHPUnit 4.8 really a good approach
>>> considering that we have moved on much further with PHPUnit these
>>> days?
>>>
>>> Currently, the php-horde* packages won't migrate to Debian
>>> testing, because of failing unit tests after upload. Any
>>> suggestions from people involved upstream?
>>
>> I'd be up for working on PHPUnit8 compatibility. I'd propose
>> bumping Horde_Test to compat to 8.x and dropping 4.8.x compat.
>>
>> I'd love to get some feedbacks on this.
>
> The issue with doing this big of a jump in our current release code
> is that PHPUnit 8 requires PHP 7.2, which is a BC break in our
> FRAMEWORK_5_2 branch.  This would have to wait for a major version
> upgrade when we can bump the minimum required PHP version.

Ok. Fair enough then. I will start working on PHPUnit 8 patches over
the next few weeks, together with the Horde co-maintainer in Debian.

I will ping the dev list, once we have a working scenario.

Mike
--

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
c\o Technik- und Ökologiezentrum Eckernförde

GnuPG Fingerprint: 9BFB AEE8 6C0A A5FF BF22  0782 9AF4 6B30 2577 1B31