[dev] H6 discussion (Let's break BC but only a little at a time)

Ralf Lang lang at b1-systems.de
Sun Oct 11 12:43:03 UTC 2020

Hello,

I have been thinking a lot about the state of horde lately. I think we
should decide for releasing H6 very soon and I am willing to make a good
part of the work.

The way I see it, H6.0 is not so much about features but a necessary BC
break

In my personal order of importance:

* drop support for PHP below 7.something
* make composer happen
* fix some really nasty signature mismatch php4isms
* repair the controller framework
* get some stuff out into public which has been hanging in master or PRs.
* signal to the community that we are still there.
* introduce a clear pattern of what new Horde php code in 2020 should
look like, how injector, controller, etc should be used, what target to
refactor to.
* unbundle stuff
* current phpunit compat
* become more compatible with what everybody else does, at least where
it does not hurt or create unreasonable effort (PSR-*)

This is not very end user feature driven.

The way I see it, I have something which might qualify as Horde 6 alpha

* runs on composer
* caters both to development and end user deployment needs
* drives mainstream Horde 5 apps more or less unchanged reasonably well
for an alpha
* and which provides a basis for further refactoring and feature
development.

Horde 5 came out 2012 and Horde 5.2 came out 2017. I really love what we
do. However, I think we should rather ramp up for a release H6.0 very
soon with 6.1, 6.2 already in mind and enough compat tricks to delay
everything which does not need doing right now.

Let's present the blockers. And if the blocker is time/resources, give
me an opportunity to help and a clear roadmap what to do first, second,
next.

Happy sunday

Ralf

--