[dev] Github Actions Release management

Ralf Lang lang at b1-systems.de
Fri Aug 13 10:46:52 UTC 2021

Am 13.08.21 um 10:36 schrieb Mahdi Pasche:
> Hello,
>

> On Fri, 2021-08-13 at 09:25 +0200, Ralf Lang wrote:
>> Am 30.07.21 um 20:32 schrieb Ralf Lang:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>> My colleague Mahdi Pasche already implemented a similar CI task for
>> gitlab and has ported it to github actions. All credits to him :)
>>

>>> Goal is to enable Horde Maintainers to run release tasks from
>>> github
>>> UI and simplify changelog handling.
>>>
>>> This is my proposal:
>>>
>>> - On Merge Request accepted: scan Pull request texts for some
>>> markers
>>> (suggestion?), run
>>>
>>>    horde-components changed "[foo] $text"
>>>
>> @Mahdi, I think the original version simply dumped the changelog. Can
>> you please confirm if it now scans for lines similar to "[somename]
>> bla
>> bla." in the commit messages?
> I just pushed a revised version as part of
> https://github.com/maintaina-com/Core/pull/3
> The changelog should now be created in the way you mentioned but it
> will only be created on new releases. This made sense for our gitlab
> setup but might need to be changed for github.
It makes sense. We can avoid having to redo the changelog if we decide
some feature or fix is not good enough and needs to be omitted for a
release.

We have all the relevant info in the meta data, commit history (and much
more detail) until we produce a release.
This is will push the intended lines a la "[rla] Bugfix #12345 broken
thing A when doing B." into the changelog file in one go.

--
Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer
Mail: lang at b1-systems.de