[dev] Library 6iness and PHP 8 readiness

Ralf Lang lang at b1-systems.de
Mon Nov 22 08:15:25 UTC 2021

Am 20.11.2021 um 08:31 schrieb Ralf Lang:
> https://wiki.horde.org/Doc/Dev/ConversionH6
>
> I have begun a table of libraries which I have worked on converting to
> standards which I consider suitable for a next release. Of course it's
> all debatable as it is NOT aligned with upstream goals.
> There are more libraries where I did parts or slightly different
> things, evolving into the strategies I documented there.
>
> I will add libraries to the table when I see them conforming
> sufficiently to one of the described strategies.
>
> One example I did not add to the table yet is Exception because there
> are minor deviations in test setup and coding convention. Once it's
> aligned, it will be on the list.
> https://github.com/maintaina-com/Exception/tree/FRAMEWORK_6_0/src
>
> The good news is we have a complete dependency cycle of libraries now,
> so we have an installable set on which we can expand.
>
> Everything is designed to allow a gradual move of applications towards
> the namespaced versions without major jumps where only one or the
> other must be used exclusively.
> While most libs are straight conversions, some contain substantial new
> features or some BC breaks - stricter signatures, renamed protected
> variables, class names which are no straight conversions from the
> unnamespaced model.

The weekend saw horde/log added to the list
https://www.ralf-lang.de/2021/11/21/horde-log-rewrite-goes-psr-3/

The horde/db library is also in the works but it is rich of __call,
__get, inheritance subtleties of parameter covariance and keyed
configuration arrays. Database adapters are hard to test and I don't
think I will have a CI job for oracle. Setting up test scenarios for
mysql/mariadb, postgresql and sqlite is already quite some work. It
won't be done soon, too many more urgent topics on the table.

--
Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer
Mail: lang at b1-systems.de