[dev] Proposal: Deprecate horde/thrift, re-think horde/scribe

Ralf Lang lang at b1-systems.de
Mon Nov 22 20:03:07 UTC 2021

Hello,

I looked into the Horde/Thrift and Horde/Scribe packages as both are in
the dependency chain for horde/log (and almost nothing else).

I propose to:

- Deprecate horde/thrift for H6

It is a pear packaging and autoloading hack around a very outdated
version of the apache thrift client.
As of composer, we can simply depend on a more recent version of
apache/thrift and be done with it.

- Update or deprecate horde/scribe

Either:

- Move the ScribeHandler from horde/log to the scribe package
- Make it depend on a recent version of apache/thrift natively
- Modernize our scribe client implementation

or

- drop Scribe support from horde

Facebook Scribe is no longer available as a maintained open source software.

I do not know if there was or is a sufficiently interesting use case
behind that integration. Facebook themselves have moved from "real" php
to hack

For cloud-native logging options, I would rather look into logstash or
fluentd integration.

--

Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer