[doc] Wiki

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Fri May 30 14:43:03 PDT 2003

Quoting Paul Reilly <pareilly at tcd.ie>:

> * Will the wiki system be similiar to a FAQoMatic?
>   I must say I don't find that good from a usability point
>   of view. Information gets buried and hard to find.
>   low signal to noise ratio.

I agree.  More info gets in.  But more noise gets in also.

> * The plain HTML FAQ does have many advantages.
>   It's authorative. Good signal to noise.

Key point for me.  Authoritive is good.

> * What system does php.net use? They have a user documentation
>   feedback system too.

I'd love something like php.net.  Authoritive answer, then user feedback
appended to it.  We could have an entry submission form, where they could
post questions.  The question could go in immediately without an answer, or
could wait for an answer from the FAQ maintainer before it goes in.  After
it is in, any one can comment on it.  This would be a really great setup
IMHO.

> My only concerns are that by moving away from a maintained FAQ
> on the website, we'd loose some authorative answers (20 wrong ways and one
> right way to do it?) plus the volume of information would increase, but
> the signal to noise ratio would probably go down....

Yes, I think the php.net solves all the problems, assuming a way to submit
new questions.  I'd see it as:

1) Port existing questions/answers to the system.
2) Setup a submission form to add questions.
3) Set up a way to provide official/authoritive answers to the questions,
   available only to Horde faq maintainers or Horde core team.
4) Set up a way for anyone to add short messages to the questions/answers
   like on php.net.

Step 2 should probably not be automatic, since we want to approve of the
questions and clean up wording, etc.  Don't want porn, spam, off topic
stuff, etc showing up.  But we could do step 2 (via approval) before
step 3 if we wanted, and people could start with step 4 even before we
did step 3 if desired...

> Just my 2 cents...

A good $0.02 if you ask me.

--