[doc] Wiki

Paul Reilly pareilly at tcd.ie
Fri May 30 09:35:09 PDT 2003

> if we're agreed
> that we want to move the faq to this kind of a setup.

Just throwing a few ideas around:

* Before deciding to change to wiki why not setup a test one
  See how it would work for us in practice?

* Will the wiki system be similiar to a FAQoMatic?
  I must say I don't find that good from a usability point
  of view. Information gets buried and hard to find.
  low signal to noise ratio.

* The plain HTML FAQ does have many advantages.
  It's authorative. Good signal to noise.

* Some places use a Bulletin Board where the user
  community helps each other. See for example:

  http://www.macosx.com/forums/

  We could have a forum just for user written HOWTO's
  like the one above.  I know I document my installs and could
  share my HOWTOS. others probably would too.

* What system does php.net use? They have a user documentation
  feedback system too.

My only concerns are that by moving away from a maintained FAQ
on the website, we'd loose some authorative answers (20 wrong ways and one
right way to do it?) plus the volume of information would increase, but
the signal to noise ratio would probably go down....

Maybe the BB with HOWTO forum would be more appropriate?

Just my 2 cents...

Paul