[doc] Wiki

Paul Reilly pareilly at tcd.ie
Sat May 31 05:16:15 PDT 2003

> Looking around, I've found http://phpwiki.sourceforge.net/ (potential
> starting place), and http://twiki.org/ (feature ideas). I rejected some

Wow!! The Twiki looks very good.
Lots of nice features like the search, email notification, uploads, chart
and drawing plugins. I'm going to install this for myself in any case.
Maybe it has too many features for our simple FAQ system, but the drawing
aspect is nice to be able to illustrate things.

> We should have the wiki and the faq side by side for a while. But
> marking the wiki as "eventually all the stuff written here will be
> deleted if it doesn't work" won't encourage users very much to
> contribute. ;-)

Agreed.
Maybe move some of the FAQ over. Like the IMP Admin FAQ, while
leaving the others as HTML for now. See how it goes. I think if
we had a system like php.net where we have an authoritive answer
followed by user comments, code, diagrams etc. then it would take
off and be very popular.

> Yes, but the drawback with this solution is that the users who *read*
> the documentation have to merge the information that comes from the
> authorative source and the user comments themselves, while in a wiki the
> users who *write* the comments have to merge them with the existing
> documentation.

True, it puts the onus on the FAQ writer to good merged text, which
is better than the reader trying to merge all answers in their head.
But what is to stop a malicious user, removing the horde/FAQ
"authoritive" answer? I guess it boils down to "Should the FAQ
questions/answers be 100% modifiable by anyone who registers on
the wiki?"

> Of course a wiki has to be maintained
> too, but I think not more than the current FAQ and also much easier.

Yes, that probably sums it up.

> MoinMoin (http://moin.sourceforge.net/) is also quite good.  It's used
> to serve the PythonInfo Wiki (http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/).

That looks nice.
But maybe we should stick with PHP ?
Is there the potential/desire to make this in to a Horde project
at some point? I'd suggest to leave it indenpendant for now...

> I'd see it as:
>
> 1) Port existing questions/answers to the system.
> 2) Setup a submission form to add questions.
> 3) Set up a way to provide official/authoritive answers to the questions,
>    available only to Horde faq maintainers or Horde core team.
> 4) Set up a way for anyone to add short messages to the questions/answers
>    like on php.net.

Maybe lets decide on a Wiki to evaluate and then do as Eric suggests.
I have only looked at a few but the twiki.org looks like the best
I've seen (not much). It looks like we can set wiki groups. Maybe we
can mmake some parts of a page non-editable ? If we go with a php wiki
we could probably add this functionality if it's not there yet.

Paul