[doc] Wiki

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Sat May 31 06:14:32 PDT 2003

Zitat von Paul Reilly <pareilly at tcd.ie>:

> > Looking around, I've found http://phpwiki.sourceforge.net/ (potential
> > starting place), and http://twiki.org/ (feature ideas). I rejected some
> >
> Wow!! The Twiki looks very good.
> Lots of nice features like the search, email notification, uploads, chart
> and drawing plugins. I'm going to install this for myself in any case.
> Maybe it has too many features for our simple FAQ system, but the drawing
> aspect is nice to be able to illustrate things.

While Twiki looks really impressive and has much more features, PHP Wiki
seems to be easier to use. But a closer look at the code should also be
considered for the decision, especially if we tend to integrate it to Horde
one day.

> > Yes, but the drawback with this solution is that the users who *read*
> > the documentation have to merge the information that comes from the
> > authorative source and the user comments themselves, while in a wiki
> the
> > users who *write* the comments have to merge them with the existing
> > documentation.
>
> True, it puts the onus on the FAQ writer to good merged text, which
> is better than the reader trying to merge all answers in their head.
> But what is to stop a malicious user, removing the horde/FAQ
> "authoritive" answer? I guess it boils down to "Should the FAQ
> questions/answers be 100% modifiable by anyone who registers on
> the wiki?"

That's another of the nice features of a wiki. It doesn't matter that much
if a user does something stupid or malicious with content: the pages' whole
history is kept and you can easily revert any changes. Together with email
notifications and the social component of a wiki, this should be enough to
keep the content's level high.
What perhaps makes sense is to not allow creation of new pages for every
user.

Jan.