[doc] Doc tools

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Thu Jun 12 18:27:02 PDT 2003

> Quoting Eric Rostetter <eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu>:
>
> > I think the problem is were not getting a lot of documentation written
> > at all.  Or kept up to date if they are written.
>
> For me, at least, docbook is a pretty high hurdle to get over to write
> developer docs.

I agree.

> > > Jon, any thoughts on using this for some Horde docs?
> >
> > Which docs?
>
> Seems like a good candidate for turning the INSTALL and docs/ directories
> from apps files into content for the website, at least.

Okay, I'm all in favour of that.

> Your distinction between major docs and others confuses me - can you say why
> the line is there?

Major docs are things that are more than a few pages long, and/or we desire
to provide in multiple formats (pdf, ps, php, html, text, etc). Nothing in the
various <app>/docs/ areas falls into this, so they would be fine to do.

Major docs are also stuff that we might like to make site-modifiable.
(For example, I just change one file in the hordedoc's tree, and suddenly
all my user guide is site specific instead of generic, using my site's
name, my site's urls, excluding some content, including other non-standard
content, etc).

Right now I would say most of what is in the hordedoc tree should probably
stay in docbook type format.  Most of that is in hordeweb and <app>/docs/
stuff can be done another way.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics