[giapeto] Giapeto, FastTemplate, Horde, etc.

Kyrian (List) kyrian-list at orenet.co.uk
Wed Oct 8 08:34:25 PDT 2003

Hi All,

I have a client who is having considerable amounts of trouble with the
new Horde components, and their existing CMS system, which is largely
FastTemplate based.

I'm wondering if its planned for Giapeto to be able to perform the
functionality of FastTemplate or similar, as well as be compatible with
the Horde components (even if that's only on a per-content-cell basis,
ie. only variable parsing, OR PHP code parsing)? Hence solving this
client's problems. Also, I think I would find it very useful myself;)

The crux of the issue being that FastTemplate doesn't parse native PHP
code in its templates (nor does the more up-to-date version
class.rFastTemplate), whereas the Horde templating system relies on
this being done, and it also relies on the code-parsed content
templates sharing the same variable scope, which definitely doesn't
happen under FastTemplate.

Also, as a result of the above, I may be able to find a significant
amount of time and perhaps other resources to Giapeto development, if
needed (discussion of that can be taken off this -archived- list
though).

If I'm in error with any assumptions here, do please correct me, and
indeed, if there are any stopgap solutions that might be useable to
my client until Giapeto reaches a first release, I'd appreciate info on
those too.

Yours,

Kev.

--
Kev Green, aka Kyrian.       "Be excellent to each other" -- Bill & Ted.
   Email: kyrian@ore.org              Web: http://kyrian.ore.org/