[gollem] Re: Shared space in Gollem/SQL/VFS

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Thu Feb 13 14:17:14 PST 2003

Quoting Jeroen Huinink <j.huinink at wanadoo.nl>:

> I have only taken a look at the UI and not at the code (yet). But I was
> wondering:
> At the moment when you enter Gollem and have multiple backends with
> proper options set you can select a list of backends and are shown only
> one. From a UI p.o.v. it wouldn't be a problem to allow a user to open
> multiple backends simultaneously in the same window. How difficult would
> this be to implement in the code?

You mean merging the file list? Or showing them side-by-side? The first I'd
really shy away from; the second would be really cool, but my instinct is
that it wouldn't be trivial.

> I was figuring that it wouldn't be that hard to strip one of the backends
> of user identification and in order to make it "shared". If we have the
> first option you can easily setup a side by side Private and Shared
> backend...

Right, the above is the hard part. Now that my memory is jogged, the
straight SQL driver is like this - one global file space.

> It wouldn't be exactly the same as what I intended at first, but it would
> offer the same functionality and the option to view more than one backend
> might have other uses as well.

Indeed!

-chuck

--